When it comes to home interiors, every decision you make is important and will leave a carbon footprint, whether knowingly or unknowingly. With growing awareness regarding environmentally friendly products and the need to control greenhouse emissions, it is no surprise to see more and more people embracing sustainable practices in décor.
Design and decoration are an integral part of any interior. The materials you chose for interior decoration and design can leave a reduced environmental impact and create an improved air quality. The furniture we pick, the flooring we choose, and the décor we buy all leave an impact on the environment. Therefore, when we make some conscious choices about how to make our lives easier and comfier, we should also think about our plant and its environment and follow the concept of sustainability.
Your goal should be on how to meet the current needs as well as the necessities of future generations. Here are some sustainable strategies to follow for your interior décor that is eco-friendly and green.
- Place the windows and doors strategically to let natural lighting in. The idea is to maximise the natural sunlight. One can also use dimmers to regulate the lighting output and use the energy more economically and efficiently.
- Choose environmentally friendly and renewable materials for furniture, flooring & rugs. Whatever you pick should be made from eco-friendly materials like jute, recycled plastics, and seagrass. Use reclaimed wood for the flooring, furniture, and cabinets, and bamboo too is a great option.
- Laminate flooring is a great option and works as brilliant insulators as they can retain the room’s heat and are available in endless coleus and patterns. You are sure to find one that meets your taste and preferences.
- Go for natural textiles & finishing for pillows, mattresses, upholstery, and avoid the use of synthetic materials. You can create a whole list of household items that can be crafted from natural materials.
- Shop local; for example, you can buy from local artists, rug makers, and carpenters, when you order home décor. If you buy a locally made product, you end up saving millions of barrels of fuel that are being used for transportation and emit tons of CO2 into the air.
- Select environmentally conscious finishes for the interiors and exteriors that carry lower levels of volatile organic compounds. Avoid paints and finishes that may contain fungicides and biocides and stick to non-toxic paints that are water-based and free of any harmful chemicals and toxins.
- Use pillows and mattresses that are free of toxic chemicals and are biodegradable and avoid those with synthetic substances such as polyurethane foam and polyester. Enjoy a good night’s rest knowing that the pillow and mattress you sleep on are environmentally friendly.
- Use sustainable lighting options and install solar panels to save energy and lower utility bills. You can switch to energy-efficient LED light bulbs that consume 75 percent less energy and last much longer.
- Place potted plants inside for decorations, and they will not just bring greenery and freshness within the interiors but remove any harmful chemicals from the air. One can carefully select some -purifying plants that can be placed near the windows.
- Go for minimalist interiors, and the approach can be easily incorporated within any home or interiors. Start with decluttering and simplifying your life and organize everything. Remove what you don’t want or rarely use and create a more ergonomic setting.
- Look for certifications of sustainability when shopping for your home interiors. Reputed organizations dedicated to the conservation of the environment certify certain home-design materials and products based on a careful assessment.
- Focus on durability and Flexibility in interior design that can be adjusted and modified to meet the changing needs of modern interiors or workplaces. So always invest in design elements that are durable, sturdy, and easy to maintain.
Save the environment and play your part in lowering the greenhouse emissions that are dangerous for the planet. Choose eco-friendly options to safeguard your health and the world and follow certain Sustainable practices while designing and decorating the interiors of your home. Create a healthy environment by minimizing waste and encouraging the use of renewable assets.
All you need to do is start by following the above tips and make a positive impact on the environment and your life.